Who said you can’t spoil yourself with some fried nuggets if you’re a vegan or vegetarian?! You can, if they’re crispy, delicious, tofu nuggets. My favourite way to serve them is with reduced soy-garlic-ginger sauce. This recipe is easy-peasy lemon squeezy and so tasty. I like to eat these either on their own when I’m snacking, or with stir-fried veggies and rice for dinner.
For the nuggets
- 1 brick of firm tofu (drained and pressed dry)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tsp fresh ground black pepper
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened original almond milk (or other milk of choice)
- Sunflower oil or grapeseed oil (for frying)
- Cut the tofu into squares. You can choose the style of cut you prefer and the thickness of each cut.
- Mix the flour, dash of salt, and black pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Dip the tofu into the milk and then into the flour. Coat each piece of tofu evenly with the dredge.
- Put enough oil in the pan to come 1/2 way up each piece of tofu.
- Cook until crispy and golden on both sides.
- Let drain on paper towel before serving.
For the sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 Tsp freshly ground ginger
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 Tsp honey
- Mix together water, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and honey.
- Put into a small sauce pot and let reduce until thickened on medium low heat – about 5 minutes.
- Pour into a small bowl for dipping.
Enjoy your (mostly) guilt-free nuggets!